11.13.2008

A New Communications Model- Consumers are Changing the Conversation

In September I attended the Deepspace presentation on Modern Brand Building, where I heard from Paul Isakson, Adrian Ho, and Dion Hughes. During the presentations they each presented a number of different metaphors for brands and brand communications. But during the presentation a different idea came to me--a revised communication model, to reflect the way consumers communicate in this media environment.

I realized that oftentimes, we assume that the consumer is going to give us--the senders--feedback, when instead they're much more likely to share their thoughts with others, both good and bad. 


(Red lines are the traditional way, blue lines replace the bottom red line--these blue lines of communications result in WOM, blogging, Twitter posts, Facebook fan pages, etc)

Windo recently made mention here of these conversations, calling them "me-casting." He noted that these communicators may be influencers if brands come check out what these consumers are saying, but that's just the thing. I think that brands need to make an effort to seek out these opinions, and not just by giving them a place to share them. They're striking up these conversations with their friends, their peers, their co-workers and family. Comcast actually figured this one out and opened their ComcastCares Twitter account. I've personally benefitted from it and think it's pretty kickass.

Like I've said, I typically don't like brand metaphors and limiting models like these, but I think this added friction point needs to be added to the conversation around communication.


2 comments:

Nguyen Duong said...

Hi Claire,
Not sure where i picked up "me-casting" but it stuck w/me and been using is lately. must've gotten it from one of them trend agency reports. they're always coming up w/those catchy handles.

That Modern Brand Building prezo was solid. esp, dig the evolution from being about "transaction to relationships" slide. spoke to a buddy yesterday about how his clients are no longer looking at CPP or CPM, but more on Cost Per Engagement. he works on an luxury japanese auto brand that wants to be more relevant to younger buyers. the buyers who are most likely to "me-cast", share, and influence. his shop is thinking beyond the :30 piece of film or the S4/CB ad in People.

I'm gonna check out ComcastCares. i have Cox done here.

take care.

Anonymous said...

I agree on the following level: the simple "send-receive" is a horrible model of how we actually interact with brands. Or in any communication, for that matter. In fact, I got to realizing just how recently (read: what I remember of university) such a poor model has been passed on as an acceptable way of looking at things. How far from the truth.

Good thoughts, thanks for bringing a bit of depth to the conversation.