2.01.2009

What is it that we remember?

I saw an ad for Schick perhaps two weeks ago that prompted me to check out their website. By the time I grabbed my computer and took the time to get a look at the site, I couldn't remember which brand it was (first problem). So I googled "Free Your Skin" which I recalled from the commercial. This is what google gave me:


Yup, you read that right. The very first result is "Free Your-Skin Tapeless Foreskin Restoration Cone for Penis" (second problem). Now I understand that being the second search choice is pretty good, but if you're going to produce ads driving to a website for which the brand is forgettable, you better make damn sure that the first search response isn't for foreskin restoration (Improving the world- one penis at a time!) 

On top of it all, when I set out to write this post, I couldn't remember the brand OR the campaign name, only the sensational search result (third problem). I had to search out my original screen shot in order to validate my memory of the foreskin restoration, and that, my friends at Schick, is most certainly a problem you might want to get working on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story.
Since I'm far from an expert in marketing, but i think they should make sure that they post advertisement budget on "Free your skin" to be on the top of the search results. Why else do they have this phrase if not to be found by their customers?

@markbuchholz

TLC Tugger said...

The Your-Skin Cone will help a circumcised man have a supple and sensitive glans and mucosal skin.

It's free to expecting fathers for $2 postage. The hope is that they'll get a whiff of what they've been missing and leave the new baby intact out of compassion.

Cheers,
-Ron

Claire Grinton said...

mark- agreed, they definitely should have considered putting some money into their search.

Well, I won't delete Ron's comment out of respect for the fact that they actually have someone who checks to see if anyone's talking about them online. Way to go.

But can I just say....WOW.