9.16.2008

Unemployment

It's come to my attention that the emotional responses to unemployment are quite similar to those of grief. To illustrate--the Kubler-Ross model:

Stage One: Denial- "I'm sure they haven't called back because they're totally swamped. Which is good, right? Then they'll for sure need my help. Yeah, I'm sure they'll call back--besides, its only been two months since I interviewed. Maybe they didn't get my thank you card! I should probably write them another one..."

Stage Two: Anger- "This is bullshit, I'm way better than this job, and they offer it to someone right out of undergrad?!? Good luck ever recruiting ME, Nameless-Advertising-Agency! I'd never sink so low to work for someone who doesn't know a good thing when they see it. Absolute bullshit...I never wanted to work for a shit agency like yours anyway!"

Stage Three: Bargaining- "Please, I'll take an internship, anything! I'll even take an account management internship. Hell, I'll work for free if I can just start working. What if I started at an administrative position and worked my way up? Maybe I could start by just answering phones and making copies and stuff? Or maybe I should go back to my Far-Less-Than-Ideal job and beg them to take me back...even though they don't even have planners there. At least I'd be working."

Stage Four: Depression- "What's the point in looking for a job? None of the other places I talked to wanted me anyway. I might as well just go back to waitressing. Or watching endless episodes of The OC."

Stage Five: Acceptance- "It really is just a terrible time to be looking for jobs. Even though I may need to take a menial job to make ends meet, at least I've been making great connections and talking with some really interesting folks. Something will come through eventually, and everything will be ok in the long run."

Of course, one may go from Stage 1 to 5 back to 3 up to 4 and back down to 1 again. But at least we can make some sense of it, and apologize to our friends for our absolutely disgusting behavior. Oh unemployment, you fickle foe...





No comments: