9.09.2008

High Fructose Corn Syrup campaign- comparison with tech industry

So, I saw one of the new commercials for the Corn Refiners Association new campaign, and while the ad itself was painfully hokey (check out the background music and the giggling in "Two Bites,") it actually reminded me of me. I have no idea why high fructose corn syrup is bad. It sounds bad because of the "high," and anything ending in "-ose" always seems suspect when I've learned various nutritional facts, but beyond that, I have no idea. I know people who cut high fructose corn syrup completely out of their diet. But I still don't really know what it's all about.

I went to the website (Success! A commercial that actually drove a consumer to the website) and got a whole lot of information--truthfully, a bit more than I wanted. I did a bit of digging to see where the bad rap may have come from, and this is what I found:

"According to the USDA, high fructose corn syrup accounts for roughly 41% of all caloric (nutritive) sweeteners consumed in the US.

Around the world, high fructose corn syrup accounts for about 8% of all caloric (nutritive) sweeteners consumed."

OK, so sure, high fructose corn syrup isn't any worse than table sugar or honey, but we Americans simply suck at moderation. So while the commercial is just meant to inform that its no different from other caloric sweeteners, it still doesn't change the fact that unless we abstain from SOME of our desires, we're still going to be as obese as ever. HFCS has just unfortunately won the worst reputation, even though it is considered a natural food according to the FDA, no different than honey or sugar.

In terms of the website layout, it was a little information heavy, and could have benefited from more visuals, as it was quite technical and comparisons often had to be made by crossing from one page to the next and back again. It also goes back to the discussion of Apple--I don't care if HFCS is made up of HFCS-55 and HFCS-42, I just want to know what that means for me. The one cool bit about the site: there's a FAQ section on all artificial sweeteners, so I got to learn more about sweeteners, the alternatives, etc.

No comments: